Advance Care Planning
Many of us have imagined what we would do in the event that we could no longer care for ourselves. Maybe you’ve even begun to make preparations for that eventuality. But what if you can no longer speak for yourself?
According to a recent study published by Healthaffairs.org, only 37 percent of adults have Advance Care Planning in place, and almost a third of those have no specified care instructions included.
What is Advanced Care Planning?
According to CaringInfo.org, Advance Care Planning is “making decisions about the healthcare you would want to receive if you happen to become unable to speak for yourself.” Specifically,
- Getting information about what kinds of life-sustaining treatments are available to you.
- Choosing what treatments you would of would not want to receive if you are diagnosed with a terminal illness.
- Sharing your personal values with your family and loved ones.
- Choosing who you want to speak for you if you cannot speak for yourself.
- Completing “advance directives,” or documents that clearly state your desires so that these decisions are made ahead of time.
Thinking about end-of-life issues is not always easy, but this kind of planning is extremely beneficial, both to you and your loved ones. Saving them the difficulty and stress of making these decisions for you is one of the most caring things you can do for those who may need to care for you.
Help With Advance Care Planning
At Crown Hospice in Victoria, TX, we are here to help you in all aspects of these difficult decisions. Please call (361) 575-5900 today. Our trained and caring counsellors, staff, and clergy are here to assist you and your loved ones in every stage of planning and care.